Sunday, August 24, 2008

a rough sunday

So today’s entry comes shortly after a lot of excitement likely better spread out over a few days but a good personality builder. I recieved a wonderful letter from my family on Friday wishing me good luck in China, and a silver star for good luck. I immediatly glued it to my racing chair as that is te place I need the luck to be in abundance.

On Friday I was informed that Saturday’s training session would take place at 9am rather than the usual afternoon session.

As I normally wake up at 10am on Saturday’s, I needed to change my "night before" strategy. I was in bed at 10pm and was up at 7am. I realized 2 things in the morning;
1- I had no milk for my coffee
2- that same lack of milk affected my mini-wheat’s.

Needless today I had black coffee and found a dried out tortilla that I smothered in Peanut Butter to choke down.

Once I arrived to my training, I was told that today was to be a mock competition. I was to race a 100m, 200m, 400m and help “rabbit” the 1000m for Diane, Jean-Paul and Basil.

As I warmed up, I realized that although ill-prepared I was not as bad as expected. During the warm-up I did a few 50m accelerations that netted me a top speed of 33.9 km/h. To put it in perspective I hit 34 as a top speed the day I broke the Canadian Record in St. Laurent.

I was surprised that regardless a lack of adequate preparation or advance warning, I still recorded some pretty good times. What was completely understandable after the workout was my nausia and inability to do anymore than the task at hand and I lost what little was in my stomach shortly after….

Regardless of how tired I was after I still ran the 100m in 14.9, 200m in 26.2 and the 400m on 50.05. The first two distances felt easy but that last one felt like 5 hours rather than 50 seconds. The only motivating factor was to hear my teammate pounding his pushrim trying to catch me before the finish line.

After this gruelling workout I spent at least a half an hour in shower and then all dressed up to go to the year end shindig at a fellow teammates house before we leave for China. I offered to drive a teammate and as he doesn't speak English, I was forced to work on my french. I had a breakthrough because rather than speaking poorly and being corrected in english, I spoke poorly and was corrected in french. I was very impressed that I only made mistakes once and seem to have built on my vocabulary. It turns out that Basil is enrolled in English classes starting in september. Then it will be my chance to be critical and get him to say all sorts of stupid things to beautiful woman for my entertainment.

After an abundance of hotdogs, chips and a single piece of carrot to compensate for all that meat and greese, I went home and crashed harder than I thought was possible. I lied on my bed and shortly after the opening credits of the dvd Madagascar, I was out like a light.

As Sunday is my dedicated day off, I have decided to sit on the terrace at Caffuchino’s and “read my book”. It turns out that when the sun comes out, so does the entire population of beautiful woman in Sherbrooke. I drank about three hours worth of coffee and although my book was open the entire time, I never got passed the first few pages. It was like Déjà-Vu because as I’m reading the page, I felt like I’d been here before. It turns out I had (about 20 times).


It’s been 4 days without rain and the rivers down to a healthy level and although the mosquitos are out, the patio is still the place to be. I think i've got it down to a science, Florida in the winter and the patio from June until October., if only I could take classes while drinking coffee on the patio.

Well, I have to get back to “reading" that same first page of my book.

Bye for now.

No comments: