Friday, July 25, 2008

A great new idea, in a time of need

Although I’m excited for my upcoming departure to China, it appears that even within Canada my 100m time is no long sufficient. Since I have an abundance of down time before and after practice, I have decided to fabricate a ultra-light 100m chair.

I started a basic frame that is under-engineered and although flexible is much lighter than normal. This bare frame weighs less than 5 pounds, and I have decided t eliminate all those unnecessary items such as steering and the brake, I’ve even lightened my wheels at the risk of longevity and durability. If everything goes right, my chair will weigh in at 10-12 pounds compared to 16-18 of my Eagle.

Just to be clear, my Eagle is superior and I will continue to use it for the 200m, 400m & 800m as it's got me this far.

As the acceleration is the key for the 100m, I think that a possible difference in weight could really make a difference. Other than crashing, my only fear is that I won’t have the same top-end speed at the end.

Now that I’m splitting hairs for 1/10th of a second, I need to be shaving grams off my chair anywhere possible.

In consultation with my coach, I will test this new beast at a race in Montreal this weekend.

We will see.......

No comments: