Thursday, September 4, 2008

Non-subjective subjectivity at it's finest

Today was a fun filled day, and it was my day off of training – Go Figure…

It started with a strange breakfast that I ate anyway and shouldn’t have. I wheeled around all day with a sore stomach.

At 4pm I had an appointment with the classifiers and it was like sitting in the hallway before seeing the principal. I was very nervous because if I was reclassified to a T-53, I would have guaranteed at least 4 medals and most of them would have been gold.

For those not familiar with the classification system, athletes are grouped by their disability level and I have always maintained that although I do fine as a T-54, based on physiology I should be a T-53.

The other reason for requesting a review was that the previous review took place in 1995 after a protest and I’m not sure how it was allowed, but the guy who protested me, also sat on the panel of “impartial” professionals. During the process, he received credit for removing himself from the actual decision, but was asked back when they realized his absence created an even number of votes and there was a split decision, so he also was able to be the tie breaker.

Anyway, today was a regular day in the office and I was thankful not to see any of my competitors in the room with me today. After poking and prodding and asking me to use muscles I don’t have, they decided that I am the least functioning T-54 they have ever seen and although I’m sitting on the line, I fall on the higher functioning side rather than the lower class.

The really crappy part of the process was that through the grapevine, I heard even prior to my meeting taking place, there were people ready to appeal the decision if I were to have had my class changed. How’s that for paranoia.

So tomorrow’s training will start like all the others, and when I go out on the track for my first race, I’ll be the chaser rather than the one everyone is trying to catch. I think in some ways the chasing task is easier than the rabbit because I can lock on to the guy in front and know exactly if and when I’m going to close in. If I’m the one being chased, I almost need a rear view mirror and would be running away from everyone instead.

Another thought is, if I were to win a whole bunch of medals as the lower class, I can’t imagine I’d be as satisfied. I’d rather come in 5th knowing it represents the fastest in the world, and would not likely be as happy with being the fastest in a lesser or discounted class.

Tomorrow’s workout is in the afternoon which will allow me to relax all day, and consists of my favourite distances 150m’s and flying 200m’s so I’m stoked to try and hit 36km/h rather than 35.8km/h which I hit the day after we arrived.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodmorning(night) Colin,
I am really enjoying your journal. The internet is showing some tempting fares to Beijing. or....Heather...maybe we could get sponsored to go to Beijing to make sure toilet paper is in all the bathrooms or something else important!! Kidding aside...all the power and godspeed to you and your team mates. Love you... Mom
Mcgowans....do you have a blog for your 2008 adventure?

Anonymous said...

Colin,
Just thought i would drop you a line and let you know that our family is thinking about you and anxiously following your blog. Also we want to wish you the best on your paralympic journey. Good luck!

Brent, and the the rest of the Fontaines

Guy and Michele said...

Hi Colin,

I am really enyoying your journal.

We think of you everyday and wish you th best you can be. Enjoy the experience.

Wow, to be in Beijing and to be competing in the Paralympics!

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Kick butt!!!!

Colin said...

The sad thing about the cost of the flights to China is that they were $2,000 back in April when I looked. The airlines always say book early, but if the price is the same to fly the next day or with a few day's notice, why bother booking ahead. They may even drop the price if there's a risk of flying a half full plane all that way. Even the hotels right next to the olympic venue is advertising vacancies and a nightly rate of 99.00 cdn.

Anonymous said...

Colin, We are following your journey with great interest and hope your great efforts pay off. After all the hard work its now "showtime".
We missed you at the lake picnic but used the paralympic/olympic theme in the sand building contest. It created a lot of discussion and some pretty neat creations. Everyone is pulling for you and the many other athletes.
Work hard and best of luck.
Uncle Rand and Aunt Lorenda

Anonymous said...

Hey Colin. Beijing better watch out... I get the feeling you're going to burn rubber on that track. Don't be surprised to get messages from a bunch of "Mr. Bell's kids"... we are all eagerly waiting to see/hear of your adventures. I have already promised the class you will visit when you return home. Positive energy your way. Love, Harry, Barb and the boys

Anonymous said...

great opening ceremonies and i think that we caught a glimpse of you watching live on ParalympicSport.TV. we will be watching again tonight on CBC and hopefully we see more of the Canadian team. we will tape tonights program for you and what ever else we get.

keep up the great work and best of luck and speed in your competitions...you can do it!!!

don the dad...

Unknown said...

Colin, Ive been thinking about you all day (although for you it's now midnight, I guess) and I hope that you achieved everything you have worked and planned for.