Monday, August 18, 2008

The fine art of fighting

The fine art of fighting

In the last 8 months, I have devoted my existence to getting stronger, having better technique and of course stamina. Although the strength and technique were intentional and very tangible in practice, I also have mastered the fine art of fighting till the death.

In past seasons the middle of the race was always my best but mainly because my start and finish were a lacking. Now, I have the ability to start strong, hammer through the middle section and still have a kick at the end if it’s needed.

I believe that this ability to fight (till the death) can only come with proper training and faith in the preparation process. All athletes regardless of distance (or even sport) hit a wall of lactic acid where their muscles cramp and their lungs burn. The unknown question is always “where and when will it happen”? I want my wall to come at about 410 meters

In a 400m, some athletes keep a little reserve for the end by coasting through the back straight and picking it up in the final corner or straight. My new goal and future tactic is to be in such good shape that I am able to start strong, keep my same top speed in the back straight and start my attack for the finish with 200m to go rather than in the final straight. I think this will force anyone beside me to change gears and stray from their game plan which was solely designed to survive the gruelling 400m.

This new game plan is only possible on a fast track because I can plan to survive for 400m, but I can’t calculate dying early based on a slow track or wind. I tried this in Ottawa this past weekend and although it didn’t work flawlessly, I saw the merits in spite of the track not being fast. I realized that the other factor that drastically changes the plan is the wind. If I hit the wind too early in the race, I spend all my energy fighting that and have nothing left for the final 200m. In an ideal world, I would have a tailwind in the first 150m-200m and then have momentum to help cut through the wind in the final straight.

My favorite new line....."we will see"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin,
We are enjoying your "paralympic" blog site. It is hard not to be physically near you as you prep for this amazing destination. Although logistically it was not possible to be in Beijing to watch you compete, it really would have been wonderful to do so.
As we read your blog entries, we envision that these would be the conversations that would be happening around the kitchen table!! Carry on with your incredible hard work as you get closer to your amazing dream. We love you forever and are so incredibly proud of your determination and accomplishments. We wish you the best.
ROCK ON SON.
Love from Mom and Dad

Colin said...

Thanks guy's, I think it's a double edged sword. If I were comming over and chatting over macaroni everytime I had a good training session, I'd be fighting to drop 20 pounds before I leave for Beijing. I do miss the ongoing interaction but it makes the few times we do get together that much more significant. Although you guy's won't be there in person, everytime I race (or even in training) I get a feeling like you're right beside me cheering me on.

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin! It was Grandmother who told us you were set up to blog... go figure, important technology-based information coming from the least technology-savvy person in the family. We are so happy to have the chance to communicate with you and especially excited to read about all the preparation you are doing leading up to Beijing. I had actually planned on asking your parents if there was a way to be in touch with you while in China... I would like to offer my students this next year some background to the Paralympics and wonder if you would be adverse to a large number of grades 5 and 6 students blogging you in the next while. I realise you would not have time to blog everyone back, but at least they would have a connection in some way to a real, live, world-class athlete. Let me know if that would be okay with you.
If we haven't already let you know, please always remember too how incredibly proud and impressed we are of your life accomplishments. I just remember the blond haired blue eyed boy I carried around trying to get to sleep at a tender age when your parents were in Florida... and now here you are, an awesomely talented and dedicated man. As your mom says, ROCK ON! We'll be a long distant cheering session too. Love Harry, Barb, Samuel and Jacob (who is sporting stitches from losing the wrestling match with Nana's couch)

Colin said...

Hey Harry and Barb, Sam and Jake.

Don't knock Grandmothers computer skills, she had a sweet computer and was on the internet before we were. Thanks for the kind words and I can only promise that as things get going the entries will be more colorful. I hear there is a starbucks either in the village or just on the other side of the 30ft fence around the perimeter which will provide me some normalcy, I also hear that the temperature will be more reasonable when I'm there which makes me relaxed a little.

As for the kiddies at school, by all means let them send me a note and I'll try my best to get back to them ASAP. Although not very current, they can also check out my website at www.colinmathieson.com.

I'm also coming straight back to Winnipeg after for some R&R.

Love Colin

Unknown said...

Glad I found you - I'm looking forward to watching your adventure in Beijing (that sounds like a good name for a movie!)
All the best from another Winnipeg fan.