Saturday, August 30, 2008

Travel Survial 101

In my twenty years of racing and at least 16 of serious travel, I have figured out how to survive everything from long flights, long delays and also the fine art of ensuring that not only that my bags show up at my destination, but also in a similar condition to the way it started the trip. FLY AIR CANADA - If you don't, follow these simple suggestions to enjoy the whole experience a little more.

Travel to the various Airports: No matter where you live, expect a delay in getting to the airport. When living in Winnipeg, I always banked on a train on Kenaston or construction closer to the airport. Since moving to Sherbrooke, I ensure that I plan for 2 hours of flexibility for a 1 ½ hour drive under normal conditions based on the grid-lock on the Champlain bridge. Through experience, I have also opted to stay at the Holiday Inn airport hotel so I’m well rested and five minutes from the airport. The free long-term parking pays for the room if I’m gone for more than 5 days.

Checking In - Always be nice, and smile lots. If you have the baby blue eyes, bat them now. As I fly 20+ times a year, I get to know the same people in various positions and a great flight starts with being greeted by name, and with a smile. (and a first class upgrade once in a while also is a nice treat). I also believe that when you know someone’s name, they are less likely to throw your baggage around. ALSO- Although I’ve never paid for it, the maple leaf lounge is glorious. They have 20 TV’s, free coffee and they will even come wake you up when it’s time. I think of all the perks of flying, that would be the most missed if I didn’t have my Elite Status with Air Canada. I'd likely pay for that membership.

Packing: “Pack what you’re willing to carry.” Just because the bag can fit a small person, doesn’t mean that you need to bring the kitchen sink with you. Unfortunately as this time I will be gone for a month, I need to bring lots of crap so naturally my bag is big and when full is heavy. For my racing chair, it’s a good day when it arrives at my destination and in one piece.

Over the years I have packed my chair in various configurations such as:

1 - A fibreglass coffin that was 7 feet long that could double as a sleeping option for an extra person if needed.

2- A chair with throwaway wheels. This option was logical as it could be pushed easily and if the wheels get beat up, no big deal. The flaw with this idea was that the frame is still exposed and vulnerable.

3 – The Cocoon. This idea is still in the works and may be the million dollar idea (patient pending). It would be no bigger than the frame but would reduce the impact of bags bouncing into it in the belly of the plane.

4 – "My new favourite": Take a roll of poly vapour barrier, a roll of duct tape and a fleece blanket and you have what I call my wheelchair burrito. I basically start by wrapping my frame with the fleece blanket three or four times, then roll two layers of plastic to keep everything intact. The duct tape is nothing more than a decorative touch as no good prototype is complete without duct tape.

That’s it. I have shared all my secrets but you need to know my successes are based on a well practiced routine and taking my lumps over the years. I’ve been stuck in airports, missed flights and had my racing chair busted to pieces in order to compile these perspectives.

No comments: